Thursday, July 5, 2012

Guarding the Sentinels...........


Here is a real story which is about a person who has seen a lot in life and who understands the real meaning of life. I have interviewed this person personally. Don’t miss his answers.

Q. How will you describe yourself professionally?

“I started my career in early 1976, in Army medical corps as an ORA (operating Room assistant) and served whole of my life helping various people who are in need of medical attention. I feel very proud to serve the Indian army in this way for about 28 years which I describe as my Golden days of my life.”

Q. Can you describe some best days of your life during Army Service?

“As I have already told that all my 28 years when I was in Army are my Golden days. But to say a few best experiences out of my service, I can say Firstly when I was serving UN (united nations) Army in Cambodia under peace keeping force. This gave me an opportunity to represent our nation to the whole world where 34 countries participated. It was really nice knowing different cultures of different countries, when I was serving the UN army. Another experience which was unforgettable was when I protected my country during the Kargil war. ”

Q. When did you feel responsible in your entire army life?

“One thing is the Entire Army life is a responsible life for me. During the Journey I have made many sacrifices and faced many difficulties, but I enjoyed them as I got satisfied with my work to protect life during the necessity.  So I would say instead of responsibility the question should be on satisfaction level.”

Q Yes Correct !! let me change my question as per your wish. So when were the days when you were so much satisfied ?

“When I was put as a regiment medical officer (RMO) during 1998 sept to 1999 April near sona marg, where I had to look after many patients and it was like I was serving only for the people.”

“Another one is when I got a very good chance of serving my country INDIA during the Kargil War. This made my life more meaningful apart from the hurdles which crossed my way. I really felt satisfied when I was able to protect my country.”

Q. Kargil!! WOW so you are a Kargil Veteran and you finally got an opportunity to protect our nation as an army man!?

“Yes, In army life nobody will get a chance to protect our own country which is in real need. I have got this wonderful opportunity to save the mankind during war and in the war field”

After a pause


“The Story begins in May 1999 when I was informed by my commanding officer, about the capture of a hill which is in DRASS (which is 52 kms away from kargil) by our enemy. He informed me that I have to go with a medical team to an Advanced Dressing Station to protect the people there. We were totally 22 in our medical team. Here I met one person whom I have met in my training days in 1976. So we all were engaged in saving our fighting groups, both Army and Air force who were on the front. We gave them medical assistance to them when they need us. Infact we were also trained to fight with enemies with bullets and rifles.”

Q: How was the initial Set ups in the Area where you stayed?

 “Initially when our team went there we have to evacuate the homes there and we used the mud houses which were already present and created a helipad ground for sending out the critical patients to Srinagar/Delhi army hospitals for those whoever required more medical assistance during war injuries.”

“So the entire set up was like a hospital set up with Tents and with equipment which helped removing the bullets from the body.”

Q: Was the area safe where you have made the set up and how was the work? “Actually the area where we stayed was 20kms away from Drass (actual war area). We used to hear the bombardments continuously, sometimes bombs used to fall nearby our setup too. Those days Life was looking very short but we never stopped curing the soldiers.”

“Agar hamare desh kii baat aathi hai toh, Kuch nazar nahi aata”

“We kept on doing continuous work as there were injured soldiers coming for every moment. We did the dressing, removed the bullets and during this time seen many different cases which we have never seen our medical career, But did our best to rescue our soldiers. During Blood loss of the soldiers, we used to give our own blood from our group, if it matches to save the life.” Q: Was there any unforgettable day during these peak war days? “Yes I have one day which I really want to tell about: On 13th June 1999 when the defense minister(George fernandes)  was about to visit our place by 2PM, a severe bombardments started at our place by 10.30 AM, with the helipads areas to be destroyed, Our jeeps and big sakhtimaan vans to get divided into two.  I was sitting in the Mud house when this happened. My training friend came running saying all these, and then we all took some of our patients who were not able to walk, to one running shaktimaan van. While we were moving in the Van away from the affected area, some bombs fell before our van and some at the back. We never knew when it’s on us. At this moment whoever was inside the van was thinking about their family. I was also thinking about my daughter who would be turning 13 in next 3 days. I told to my friend “ I think I will not be there for my daughter after her 13” My friend cried for this and replied: “Atleast you have a son who can take care of your daughter but I have 2 daughters”.  My eyes were filled with tears. Finally with all the thoughts we reached Meena marg which is 25 kms away from the camp which we had set up. I will never forget the moments which I have spent which was like a near death experience for me in that van. So by End of june we have set up our permanent location for our medical center in Gumri(which is 20 kms from Drass). We kept on serving till july 28th 1999 when the war was declared as an end. Q. How you used to communicate with your family during these days. There was no phone communication which can be done with the family. I used to write letters to my wife and kids, which used to reach home after 15 days. So the news which I got/they receive was 15 days older. Anyway I was happy reading those letters as it’s from someone who cares about me and who is waiting for me, and whose prayers had kept me alive still. One worst thing which happened in between all these was my mother’s death which I got the information only after 8 days, on call. And as it was full of snow, I wasn’t able to start from there on the same day when I got the info. After the snow clearance I left the place and reached my hometown.

I felt like: I have lost my mother for my country. Oh I am really Sorry for that!

Hmmm…..(eyes filled with tears) So your operation vijay is really a VIJAY for you all!

Yes obviously! I was  given an Operation vijay medal for the contributions for the country during the war. But I was not able to show this medal to my mom! Yes but I am sure that she must be really happy seeing you. You have really made her proud and I am also proud of you DAD!

And you know what I was sure that you would be with me even after my age 13. Love You dad and Thanks for everything. < The person I was interviewing is my Dad “Panneerselvam Athimoolam” I am really proud of you dad.>


No comments: